Age-Appropriate Chores for Kids | Ages 2-10+!
**Disclosure: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
My daughter began partaking in age-appropriate chores at the age of 2. As a single mom with limited adult help, I knew I needed her to understand responsibility and help with chores at an early age in order to keep our home from becoming chaotic.
I wanted to teach her that she was responsible for her personal hygiene, bedroom upkeep and personal belongings. Most importantly, I wanted her to understand that we run this home as a team.
Below is a list of age-appropriate chores for kids ages 2-10+. Please keep in mind that not all children will be able to, or willing to, complete all of these chores. As with all other aspects of parenting, your mileage may vary.
Some children will complete many of the tasks in their “age bracket” at a younger age. Others may complete the tasks in their “age bracket” at a later age. There is no right or wrong. Tweak the list in order to make it fit your family’s dynamic and your child’s temperament.
Implementing these chores at an early age will teach your children responsibility, self-sufficiency and home-management skills.
Remember, children LOVE being rewarded for completing chores. Use a reward chart such as the following one from Melissa & Doug in order to incentivize little ones to complete their chores!
Age-Appropriate Chores for Kids ages 2-10+
Ages 2-3 | Age-Appropriate Chores
- Help pick up toys and tidy up room. Use songs such as “The Clean Up Song” to make it fun!
- Place dirty clothes in the hamper.
- Put books back in the bookcase.
- Help to dress self.
- Help to undress self before bath-time.
- Dust coffee tables/side tables (no chemicals) with adult assistance.
- Brush teeth with adult assistance.
- Grab diapers and/or wipes for mom, dad or caretaker.
Ages 4-6 | Age-Appropriate Chores
Previous chores +
- Help bring in the mail.
- Help seal envelopes and apply stamps.
- Make bed every morning.
- Brush teeth without adult supervision.
- Feed pets, clean pet bowls, and refill water bowls.
- Tidy up (bedroom, bathroom, playroom).
- Help load the dishwasher.
- Help dry dishes.
- Place clothing in washing machine.
- Place clothing in dryer.
- Help remove clothing from dryer.
- Wipe bathroom counters after brushing teeth or washing hands.
- Set the table before meals.
- Clear the table after meals.
- Water indoor plants or outdoor potted plants.
Ages 7-9 | Age-Appropriate Chores
Previous chores +
- Clean bedroom with vacuum and/or broom.
- Help organize snacks, drinks and foods for lunchbox.
- Clean out lunchbox at the end of the day.
- Put away clean, folded laundry.
- Water gardens and large plants with garden hose.
- Help clean or refill animal litter.
- Help empty garbage cans.
- Replace garbage bags.
- Rake leaves
Ages 10+ | Age-Appropriate Chores
Previous chores +
- Help pack car after grocery shopping and help put groceries away at home.
- Meal preparation; Clean vegetables and fruits, fetch ingredients, help chop ingredients, etc.
- Help mow the lawn with adult supervision.
- Wash and vacuum vehicles with adult supervision.
- Sort laundry (whites, colors, darks).
- Complete a load of laundry from start to finish.
- Fold laundry.
- Hang laundry.
- Walk dog and clean up after dog.
- Help make breakfast; Pour own milk, serve cereal, place toast in the toaster, etc.
- Start the coffeemaker for mom, dad or caretaker.